Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Not-quite-so Wordless Wednesday



So, when living abroad, and trying to reach a certain culture, it is a good idea to adopt small practices of that culture (clearly one would want to choose practices which are not against scripture). So, on my first day here, I felt compelled, in order to relate to women here, to get my nose pierced. I knew that by making this small gesture, many cultural bridges could be gapped (right?)! So, I jumped right in, I mean, the ring was jabbed right in! Basically, I pointed to a stud that I liked, the man took it out, cleaned it, and jabbed it into my nose. Then he bent the post with pliers! Don't worry! This puppy isn't going anywhere! Really. It can only be removed by cutting it out. I am very dedicated to cleaning the piercing! Everyday I clean the inside and out with a clever Indian product called "dettol" basically this is a wonder cleaner. Its uses, as listed on the bottle, include cleaning floors, clearing bacterial infections, toilet cleaner, etc. So, its pretty hardcore, but I can take it because I am pretty hardcore too.
In other news, today was my first day in the office and working on my actual project here. It was a very sobering task. So very eye-opening. And, it got me wondering about a few things.
First, I wonder if anyone of us has ever truly realized how vast and diverse the earth is. Today, for my one state logging people groups , there were over 200 different people groups. This is amazing! This is for only one state of one country, and not even a comprehensive list at that. In this country, there are over 2000 tribes! Consider now all of the other countries of the world! China, Indonesia, Brazil...
Second, I wonder if any of us have ever really grasped the lostness of the world? I can say, after today, that I had no idea, and I have no idea at the peoples of the world who are still in the darkness of sin, and are separated from the love of Christ. As I entered my data, I came across group after group with total populations in the millions, and number of Christians less than 200. Some much less, such as 12 Christians out of 500,000 people. Most people groups that I entered today have no believers at all. NONE! And when I say most of the people groups have no believers, this is not an exaggeration. This is true data collected by respected people who are unbiased, and now I have seen a portion of this with my own eyes.
Third, I wonder if anyone will be moved by this to be a co laborer with me. This is huge people. Whole people groups are carrying on with no witness at all. No chance to hear the Truth of Christ. What can we do about this?? First of all, I think its good to remind ourselves that ultimately the Lord will have children from every tribe on earth, and with that in mind pray. Pray that believers from other communities will become bold in sharing truth across their own cultural lines. Pray for international workers to know how to serve as Christ would, with the truth on their lips. Pray for me and the team here, and our small sphere of influence, after all, one-by-one- every individual has a soul which is meaningful to our Father.

7 comments:

ChristieBelle said...

Thanks for sharing your insights...
I have just prayed in the way you have mentioned in your blog, and I have prayed the many will be drawn to God because of his might and holiness.

C.

Marcy said...

Sheley, I am glad that you just dove right into the culture there! I am a little nervous about that stuff you are cleaning your nose with, but it doesn't look like your nose is about to fall off, so I guess it's okay.

Seriously, I am still praying for you and I will pray for the people that are unreached in the world. It is hard to imagine never even hearing about Jesus.

Melissa and Drew Patton said...

hey, sheley!! i just linked you to our site!! it's official!! you're much braver than me about the nose piercing thing (and the cleaner too)!! i'm praying for you!!

melissa

p.s. our blog is melissaanddrew.blogspot.com if you wanna check it out and see your link and stuff. : )

Unknown said...

hey sheley... well, i tend to get the news hot-off-the-press before it gets blogged; nevertheless, i love reading these entries. yea, it's amazing how many *millions* of people are disconnected from what we consider normal. completely remote, non-influenced, and not even exposed to elements that we americans consider the standard. what a vast world, eh? i can't even imagine, but hearing your stories puts it in better perspective for me, definitely.

stay strong b.e.g.

Chris said...

You never cease to amaze me!

Always praying for you.

Chris Jordan

Amy said...

You rock!! When I had my belly button pierced (the non- traditional way with the same type of piercer that people get their ears done with...thinking that this would be less painful) I almost passed out!! And when I had Quinn...forget it! I was drugged all the way!!! I learned a lot from my sister's first birthing experiece that natural was not going to work for me...I am a big baby!! Gotta love those all purpose cleansers!!! Really get your money's worth outta those...ha, ha!!! Take care!

- A

Josh Stringer said...

Love it!!! "All things to all people" right? We need to see a better picture.