Monday, April 28, 2008

from Delhi

Roslyn and I spent the first four days after my arrival in D-town, in the north of the country. While here, we stayed in the home of Roslyn's friend, Nisha. We took the opportunity in those four days to have an abundance of adventures.

Our first adventure was getting from the airport to the guest house at 1:00 AM. That was fun!
Adventure number 2: I got my nose pierced.
Adventure number 3: Relationship drama unfolding before our eyes at the local McDonalds.
... 4: Getting from South to North a million bags :-)
...5:Meeting Nisha's extened family!
6: sharing three beds between 8 people!
7: shopping! We got new fancy suits for special occasions! See the picture!
8: Mehendi/Henna! Seen in the pictures of my hand. Ros and i got both hands painted on front and back. This is a traditional art that is practiced here. Everybody gets henna for fun, or for special occasions! Ours was for fun, but we later had a wedding party to attend! Good thing we were prepared with our new suits and Henna hands!
9. Meeting a prospective suitor/husband for Nisha, well actually just his dad and uncle. Nisha is 25, and its time for her arranged marriage. There is a lot of pressure.
10. Meeting the neighbors
11. Meeting more extended family
12. Wedding party
13. TRAIN! Oh my goodness! The train ride was a total of 37 hours. We had a sleeper car, but no AC. I do not suggest this! Especially with temperatures over 100 degrees! Seriously.

So, thats my life for the past week! come back for more, including prayer and commentary on some events such as the topic of arranged marriage! I know you like cliff hangers :-)

Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

you cant have a wordless wednesday on monday! heh, lookin good baby. you're slowly becoming indian. i bet your fans would like to hear about your insane train story :)

Jennifer said...

You look beautiful! :-)

Glad you made it there safely! Looking forward to future posts!

Praying for you in GA!

I showed the pics to the kids, and they want to know the story about your hands and arms? "Did she tatoo herself?" :-)

Marcy said...

So, did y'all go to a wedding? I had an Indian friend in high school and every time she went to an Indian wedding, she did henna tatoos on her hands, but they were not the pretty!

You all look beautiful in those dresses!

I have been praying for you!

Wendy Fujita said...

Hey Sheley! I'm glad you made it all the way to India safely! Thanks for keeping us updated-- I love hearing your stories! I am praying for you!

Wendy Fujita

(Also, I have two friends headed to India this summer, so I pointed them to your blog :-) )

Amy said...

I am so lame...it has taken me so long to get the chance to read your posts. Sorry! We are glad you got there safe. I have always wanted to do henna. Mainly because the lack of pain =-) Thank you for sharing what most of us will never get the chance to see!

Hugs,

A