Sunday, April 13, 2008

Contribute to the Needs of the Saints

Dear friends,

As my time in the states comes to an abrupt end, I am faced with may emotions and thoughts. Most of these will go unstated, and float here and there in my mind for days, weeks, or even months. Some things, though, I feel inclined to share with you, my brothers and sisters in Christ, my beloved fellow laborers.

Packing up has begun and my room is in disarray, papers, clothes and memories strewn across the familiar floor. All speak to the fact that I, indeed, do have roots in this place. Roots. That's something to think about. Who I am, Where I've come from, Where I'm going... But I also wonder where my roots are heading currently. Is my foundation firm? Am I growing and stretching those roots towards a reliable source of water? Will I have enough nutrients being delivered in order that I can stand firm and strong when the wind blows, and when the winter comes?

As I leave this comfortable and cozy place in my life, I realize that I might be headed into a land of drought, of loneliness, and of darkness. But, I have confidence in the strength and mercy of Christ, my Lord to keep me close to the Father's side and offer up prayers on my behalf. With so many uncertainties in the path ahead of me, I come to you and ask for your prayers over me.
I have a few things which I specifically wanted to lay before you.
  • pray that i would be an encouragement to the American team that I will be working with in India. As I studied M's and have participated in numerous trips, I have seen how short-term volunteers can often do more harm, and cause more stress than they do good. Clearly, I do not want this to be the case. Pray that I will be able to encourage them in the love of our Lord, and refresh them in anyway I can. (Romans 12:9-13 Let love be genuine. Abhor what is evil; hold fast to what is good. Love one another with brotherly affection. Outdo one another in showing honor. Do not be slothful in zeal, be fervent in spirit, serve the Lord. Rejoice in hope, be patient in tribulation, be constant in prayer. Contribute to the needs of the saints and seek to show hospitality.)
  • pray for my future coworkers in Indonesia. As it turned out last year, this is my main area where I am really free to form relationship and speak openly about the gospel. They can also be the source of a lot of stress for me!!!
  • Pray for the students I will be teaching in Indo that they will see a light in me and I can point them to the Son.
  • pray for my safety, especially from physical illness. I am a bit scared about the two day train ride in a new and very crowded country. Please pray that I will stay safe and healthy. I can't do anybody much good if I am stuck in bed.
  • pray that I will easily be able to adapt to culture and life in India. I am kinda just jumping in head first. The closer I get, the more scared I become that I will be overwhelmed. So, I guess just pray that I won't be too nervous or scared to function. Culture shock can be a killer, for sure.
  • pray for fellowship with sisters and brother in the Lord while I am in Indonesia. This is also a big one. Without this one, my spirit is likely to shrivel up. I need the frequent waterings of good, sound preaching, prayer, and deep connections with people who love the Lord.
So, that's all that I can think of for now. If you have questions- you know what to do... Sheley.jaggar@gmail.com. Also, if you read my blog, please leave me comments while I am gone. Those can really do a lot for a lonely girl's spirits. Really, they do.

Grace and Peace

1 comment:

Unknown said...

awww, well, as you pack up your bags, hopefully you'll recall the fun times you had at while you were there at meme's. i.e. all the time you spent w/ her, hanging out with laura and jamie and some of your other local friends who are/were still around and able to meet up with you.

i surely know the feeling though; every time i packed my bags in college and headed home to a new place each summer, it always made me reflect, wonder, and question where i'm at, where i'm actually going, and what is to come.

i'm completely confident that you skills, resourcefulness, optimism, strength, past experience, help from others to not only survive in your new places, but to thrive.

the water will keep on flowing.