Monday, May 26, 2008

There is only One


In this land, there are hundreds upon hundreds of deities. They loom on roof tops, balconies, open fields, and hidden crevasses. There seems to be as many gods here as there are people. In the household, the job of the wife is to preserve the family religion. In most cases, this means there is a separate area of the house set up with the family idols, bowls of offerings, incense, vermilion and spices, plus posters or paintings of other gods which the family has a patronage to. This family shrine is considered a holy place, where the family members can worship daily.

Last night, at my adoptive family's house (which was a hub of activity for a few hours), the tv was on to a national program, which looked just as silly as the melodramas which were unfolding on every other television station. The whole family had gathered around to learn about their gods. I watch with disillusion as the characters portrayed deified swamis teaching their wisdom with great empathy and charisma. Is it healthy to have the main source of one's information on any topic be a television show?

Sad thing is (well, one of many sad things) that the people who adhere to this religion in this country KNOW that their stories are myths and unreal, and that their deities are IDOLS made with hands. Yet, with this information in hand, they still worship and make offerings to the gods. We have lots of fat street dogs in my neighborhood from all of the rice sacrifices left outdoors. At least they are thankful for the foolishness of men living in darkness. However, for me, it breaks my heart.

A few years ago the band, Caedman's Call came out with a CD called Share the Well. All of the songs written for the cd were written in Ecuador, and this country. Since I heard a certain song those many years ago, it has always brought me to a state of praise for the Truth of Christ, and the oneness of our God. Being here, and seeing the falsehood (and cherished falsehood, at that) of this place, it has made me evermore aware of the specialness of the God that we follow.

Here are the lyrics:
Left His seamless robe behind
Woke up in a stable and cried
Lived and died and rose again
Savior for a guilty land

It's a story like a children's tune
It's grown familiar as the moon
So now I ride my camel high
I'm aiming for the needle's eye

I chased the wind, but I chased in vain
I chased the earth, it would not sustain

There's only One who never fails
To beckon the morning light
There's only One who set loose the gales
And ties the trees down tight
When all around my soul gives way
He is all my hope and stay
There's only One, only One Holy One

Lord, You are my Prince of Peace
But this war brings me to my knees
See, there's a table You've prepared
And all my enemies are there
But where my Shepherd leads
Where else can I go?
Who else fills my cup 'til it overflows?

There's only One who never fails
To beckon the morning light
There's only One who set loose the gales
And ties the trees down tight
To the Solid Rock I fly
Though He bids me come and die
There's only One, only One Holy One

Isaiah 43:8-13

Bring out the people who are blind, yet have eyes,
who are deaf, yet have ears!
9 All the nations gather together,
and the peoples assemble.
Who among them can declare this,
and show us the former things?
Let them bring their witnesses to prove them right,
and let them hear and say, It is true.
10 "You are my witnesses," declares the LORD,
"and my servant whom I have chosen,
that you may know and believe me
and understand that I am he.
Before me no god was formed,
nor shall there be any after me.
11 I, I am the LORD,
and besides me there is no savior.
12I declared and saved and proclaimed,
when there was no strange god among you;
and you are my witnesses," declares the LORD, "and I am God.
13Also henceforth I am he;
there is none who can deliver from my hand;
I work, and who can turn it back?"

5 comments:

Unknown said...

sorry to hear that it breaks your heart to witness of all of that. it definitely seems like some bizarre stuff from our world view. nice pictures though! the big man w/ the cow was good, heh.

Anonymous said...

wow - this is an eyeopening post. there is only One and only One whereby we must be saved.

Melissa and Drew Patton said...

it's really sad how people are so blinded by the enemy. my heart aches for them.....

those pics you posted are beautiful! (and sad for what they represent)

melissa :)

Anonymous said...

Sheley, you have a powerful way of writing. When reading this post I couldn't help but picture Paul feeling the same way about the Greeks and their multitude of gods. They made altars and temples for all these gods, even to an unknown god (just in case they left one out I guess). Paul was charged by God to be a witness to these people and what a challenge that must have been. Perhaps you can take something from his sermon to them in strategizing how best to approach the situation. I am extremely proud of you and so happy for you. I am very glad that God gave you this opportunity even if it means I may not see you for a while. I miss you and love you and keep you in my prayers. - Durran

Jennifer said...

Sheley,

Thank you for this post. It is very powerful, and a good reminder for us all that God is God...and the only One.

I'm so thankful that you are posting so often. It helps us know what specifically to pray for you.

Sending you much love,
Jennifer :-)