Next, I want to introduce you to my new boyfriend who I met at a Tex-Mex restaurant on Friday. We hit it off big time. His name is John.
Finally, we arrive to our Saturday! Oh what fun it was! Before I mentioned that the Lord answered my prayer for the rain to hold off when I was sick and walking home, this story will not be like that.
Basically, monsoon season has arrived early. For the past three weeks it has rained almost everyday; however, the rains generally come in a predictable pattern. Generally. Usually, around 3:00 pm, the sky turns gray, the thunder starts but the rains don't fall for a good three to four hours later. So, you know you can actually get some things done on foot before you get drenched. This story is not like that either, but it does explain how we were fooled.
So, around 3:30, Ros and I head out for our groceries and a few errands in our neighborhood with the intention of stopping back by our house before we went to get a birthday gift for a friend and dinner with some Expats. We got our groceries (including 1 kilo of fresh ground coffee!! YAY!) and watched as the black clouds rolled in with their thunder and lightening close at hand. We speedily walked home fearing that it would be the one day when the skies would open prematurely with us unprepared. Luckily, we were faster than a speeding bullet and unloaded and were on our way again before the heavens opened up.
We were having such luck! Even when we came out of our street, we immediately found an auto who was willing to go where we wanted to go. When we approached the driver, he was trying to attach his rain guard to one of the open sides of his vehicle. When we told him our destination, he abandoned his activity and set out on our journey. We came out of the neighborhood, took a left and were suddenly in the midst of a "gully washer". The rain was coming from every direction, even from the ground, I swear! Luckily we could continue on our way, though there were no windshield wipers on the auto. What a brave driver, and we were only getting a little wet, so no worries.
We arrived to the street where we were to go shopping for our friend's present, and were happy to see that the rain had subsided a bit. We hopped out and started to cross the street with our umbrellas (ella ella ella eh eh eh) at the ready. Which is a fortunate thing, because as the auto drove off, the skies once more opened up and began to wail mercilessly. So, we decided it would be a better idea just to walk to the family's home where we were to eat dinner. This was definitely a good decision, though it would have been a better decision if we had ponchos, and perhaps a canoe.
As we walked down the street, Roslyn uttered a sentence which made my bones quake. "I actually am not sure how to get to their house from here." WHATTTTTTT?? For real? No worries tho, she knew we were in the right neighborhood, and generally where we should go... so we went on. Passed a few people waiting out the rain in the cars, who were amused at the drenched white girls carrying umbrellas which, clearly, were not helping at all. We were also amused at ourselves. After walking for abt 10 minutes in the downpour, we came to a small shop with an awning where a few people had also gathered to wait it out, so we decided to wait with them. The scene from where we stood...
Oh what fun! I was sure that that scooter was soon going to be flowing down the road along with the wicked witch of the west, or todo.
Anyway- after our 10 minute stop, we decided just to brave it. At the end of the street we had to ford a river (ok, maybe I am exaggerating, but only a bit), but soon we were at our destination! Yay! We were so wet and yucky, which was sad because we had actually tried to look nice on that day. Didn't happen. Here we are in our drenched glory!!
Don't hate us because we are beautiful.

6 comments:
Big girl...you are beautiful....ahhahahahahah
Oh my goodness...I can't believe all that rain! I have studied your plate and I cannot identify anything on it. I'll let you know if I change my mind later. I am glad that you are open-minded about food.
I love you guys. I am assuming that you finally found where you were going. Tell Ros hi for me! I never seem to get to talk to her on facebook or aim. an since I don't have skype, but I am sure you guys are real busy. I feel swamped. Only a couple weeks left of summer school and I'm feeling frantic about my need for an internship. :-( But I am sure the Lord will provide, even if it is not in the way I want.
lol, great entry. loved the humor. and, im not sorry that it poured on you guys :) it provided a great time, a great story, and that's the type of stuff you'll remember when you later recall your time spent in india w/ ros :) awesome. good pics, btw. def helped w/ the entertainment.
Hmmm, looks like medical/surgical specimens!
I know ... YUCK!
Love you,
mama
white= yogurt, green= smashed pinach, red= chicken tikka or butter chicken, and nan.
Post a Comment