Marriage by intrusion, seewar jana, is observed when a girl, who is fond of a boy, intrudes into his house, and catches his hand. Consequently the boy has to marry her. The boy's father has to pay bride-price to the girl's father..."
Well actually, this isn't the most common practice, or the least common having to do with marriage. This is the most matrimonially minded society I have ever witnessed in my life. It seems to be the main concern for people of all ages... I even know an 18 month old girl who can answer questions such as "How will you cook for your husband?" The generally accepted method of finding a mate is through an arranged marriage, in which the parents of the boy and the uncles and father of the girl agree. Things to consider are age, height, eye color, complexion, CASTE, religion, job, etc.
Since I've been here, I've been able to spend a lot of time with a local family. Their oldest child is a girl, aged 25. This is prime marriage time for her!!! So, she has a profile on Shaadi.com, which is a matching site for marriage purposes in this country. Not an evening goes by at their home, when her father's not on the phone with possible suitors' parents trying to make a match. The day is coming sooooooooon for her! Too bad she has a boyfriend from a lower caste- he has no hope. So far, they haven't found anyone who is worthy, but they will. Because this is their main concern in life.
Anyway- I have more marriage stories, but I'll save those for another blog, because its time to talk about the MARKET!
Well, actually all I have to say is that markets are way better than Wal-Mart. I mean, bargaining is better than 'falling prices' any day! I went shopping and got two skirts, two pairs of earrings, three sets of bangles, and lunch for about 12 bucks in a local market (beat that Wal-Mart). Plus, I got to experience the culture, endure the heat, cut open my head on a beam, and walk for miles! What's not to love about that situation??
Finally, I would like the thank the Lord for his graciousness towards me, and his simple kindness. Yesterday, Roslyn and I were eating dinner with our adoptive family when I started to have severe pain in my stomach! It was pretty bad, people. So, after dinner, we left on foot. The walk is only abt 6 minutes, but in my state it was taking a lot longer, as i had to stop and vomit occasionally:-( But the real bad news was that it had been raining all evening. It was only raining a bit when we stepped out, but we heard the thunder and saw the lightening looming in the distance. So, I prayed that it wouldn't rain 'till we got home. The Lord answered my prayers, and as soon as our key was in the door, the rain started pouring down. So, thank you Father for taking care of me. And I feel better today as a side note.
This is just a typical market stall :-)
Thanks for your time! I love you all. I'll edit for grammar and spelling later!

3 comments:
Very interesting post. I am amazed by other cultures. I had no idea marriage was thought of in this way in India. I hope you are feeling better. So Roslyn has been living with an indian family while she has been there? Thanks again for the post.
that was definitely a good story about your rain-prayer-incident :) man
hearing about the market, and its insane prices, makes me wish i were there. that would be fun to bargain. and, if i were there, i would totally capture you ;)
good post, babe.
hey....I'm an eligible bachelorette too! Roslyn
Post a Comment