Monday, March 3, 2008

These Are a Few of My Favorite Things- Indo Style

So, by direct request, I am submitting a list of my most favorite places in Indonesia. There are of course so many places that it is hard to determine which ones are my favorites. It is even more difficult for me to choose places, as I have so many memories and sensory cues which come at me in waves as i look at my pictures. How is it possible to be overcome by these things after 7 months of being in a place like America. It seems that I would have buried them deep down, and have to dig for them. Most people would be this way... but the truth is that these memories live in my soul and continually posses my thoughts. It's not a dig to get them to surface because they float on the top of my being yet unseen to anyone else. What can I say? To you they might not be much, but to me they are people. They are life. They are Indonesia. They are where my heart is. So, here they are :-)


10. Ciwalk- (Chee-walk/ Chee-am-pelas walk) This is a mall in the city of Bandung in West Java. Ciwalk has the first ever Bandung Starbucks- this place sustained me when I came to indonesia in '05. Ciwalk also has tons of fun things to do, from Karaoke to movies to concerts. Here are some pictures. Some of them are old... but that's how I roll. I forgot to mention that there are some majorly massive superheroes who hang out across the street.9. Du Fan- (Do-Fun/ Du-ne-ya Fan-ta-see) Du Fan is a super fun theme park in Ancol, North Jakarta. There are rollercoasters, lotsa food, a few rides, and different fun exhibitions. Its a great day trip! Be prepared for heat, humidity, and long lines! The park is situated on the Java Sea!
8.The drive between Jakarta and Bandung- This is about a two hour drive, or a 4 hour train ride. It's AMAZING! So beautiful and relaxing, but I have a feeling it won't stay this way for long with the urban sprawl creeping outward from both cities. These aren't good pictures, but you kno... its all right.




















7.Ancol- (an-ch-ole) Ancol is the sea side district of North Jakarta which is on the Java Sea. This is where you can get some "enak" "jagung bakar"- delicious roasted/grilled corn, and walk the beach and pier with a special someone. Or, you can visit Du Fan, SeaWorld Indonesia, etc. Tons of things to do and see here. But... I didn't take any pictures. Maaf ya!

6. Sukabumi/pelabuhan ratu- (Su-ka-boom-y / Pe-lob-wan ra-too) Sukabumi has the most frequent earthquakes of any city in Indonesia! Weird. Pelabuhan Ratu is on the Indian ocean, about 2 hours away from Sukabumi, but i am putting them together because I visited them on the dame day. We hopped into a river in Sukabumi on a very very very rainy day and rafted class IV rapids all the way to the coast on Pelabuhan Ratu! A great trip...I almost died, but its all gravy. This is my scrapbook page from Sukabumi on the river, and some from the road on the way home from the ocean.















5. Tangkuban Perahu - I'm not writing about this because i already had a blog about it. So, check that out for the details!


4. Taman Safari - (Ta-man Sa-far-y) HAHA! This is the coolest zoo ever- for real. We drive through and feed the animals carrots! The zebras are a bit crazy, and the camels too, but its tons of fun if you are brave enough to roll down the windows. You can also make good friends with orangutans and baby lions for the purposes of taking a picture. There is also a water park and some walk through exhibits. This is definitely a must-see.




3. Citos - (chee-toss) This is a mall comprised of a supermarket, 1,000 restaurants (ok, I exaggerated), an import book store, movie theatre, WIRELESS INTERNET! This is a commodity in Indonesia, let me tell you! So, I went here about once or twice a week. On Wednesdays, there is a market in the center walkway where you can buy tons of clothes, shoes, and jewelry... on other days there are other themes and you can find traditional handicrafts from all over the country, or random car shows. You never really know what you are going to get, but you can bet it will be a fun time. There is even a diner in Citos that has amazing American style hamburgers and shakes, complete with memorabilia. Good times. So, I don't really have a picture of the mall, but i have one from outside and i have one from a restaurant where I took my students one day.




2.Saung Angklung Udjo - (Sa-oong ang-kloong oo-jo) Oh man, I am getting excited now!! An Angklung is a traditional instrument from Java; it is made of hollow bamboo shoots. When you shake it, it makes a pretty sound. So, at the Angklung Udjo, you can see how they are made and watch a show as well as relax or shop in the gift shop. The most amazing thing is being involved with the performance. This sight is also a school for traditional music and dance for children! They play their angklungs, then teach you how to play, and dance!!! Love it!
























1. Kampung Daun - (kam-poong down) Oh man, this is the most amazing place I have ever visited. Most definitely my favorite place to go. Kampung Daun is nestled into the mountains on the outskirts of Bandung, on the way to Tangkuban Perahu. So, you should just make a day of it. Go to the volcano and then stop off for a cool evening of food and relaxation. Basically its the most amazing place ever, and my words can't describe it, and the pictures can't do it justice. But here they are...


2 comments:

Unknown said...

wow. very cool, sheley. man, that tour bus of indo surely did take you to many places! they all seem like pretty good place, but i'd have to say that #10, #3, and #1 stick out to me. definitely #3.javascript:void(0)

Anonymous said...

haha i remember when you ate that fish :)
~ahack