Sunday, October 14, 2007

Getting Started

Hello World,

This is me, Sheley. You may or may not remember me. I am the same girl who was born 24 years ago in a hospital in Fort Worth, Texas, USA. Does that ring any bells? I'm the same girl who used to dig up worms in the playground of her preschool in Lakeland, Florida. I never wanted to wear dresses, and I never learned how to turn a cartwheel. I am the same girl. I am the one who went to high school in Norcross, Georgia. I am the one who sat quietly in class... while chewing gum. I was very rebellious. Remember me? I went to college in South Carolina. I met you somewhere along the way and you made an impression on me. Do you remember? I'm that same girl who left for a while to go to Asia. I am back now. Did you know?

24 years of life seem to be packed into one grain of what?Maybe not a grain, but a ground. A ground of aromatic coffee, perhaps... so small, yet leaves an impression. Twenty-four, that's not much, is it? I wonder how much more time I have on this planet. How many more years will this body of flesh be inhabited by my eternal soul? Is my day fast approaching? What about the people who I love? How long do they have here? If the days pass so swiftly through my hands like the fall breeze outside my window, how can I make those days count? How can I not waste my time, your time- time in general?

This is what I want to say:
Time is short, the enemy is real. Though I am the same girl I have always been, may I constantly be moving toward Christ and away from sin.

Ephesians 6:10-20
10Finally,be strong in the Lord and in the strength of his might. 11 Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the schemes of the devil. 12For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places. 13Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand firm. 14Stand therefore, having fastened on the belt of truth, and having put on the breastplate of righteousness, 15and, as shoes for your feet, having put on the readiness given by the gospel of peace. 16In all circumstances take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming darts of the evil one; 17and take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God, 18praying at all times in the Spirit, with all prayer and supplication. To that end keep alert with all perseverance, making supplication for all the saints, 19and also for me, that words may be given to me in opening my mouth boldly to proclaim the mystery of the gospel, 20for which I am an ambassador in chains, that I may declare it boldly, as I ought to speak.