Well, here is the word on the street... I am heading home on June 23 set to arrive in June 24th around 11 AM. I know a lot of people are excited about this, and I am too. But, for me, it holds mixed emotions, of course. It has been a long time since I have been home and seen my loved ones and since I have been able to have fellowship with my home church, and I have certainly been missing that the most. I am sad, though, to know that I have to close this chapter of my life. For the first time in 5 years, I will leave Indonesia knowing that next summer does not hold another trip, or another adventure for me. Well, there will be a new adventure, marriage, but not Indonesian adventure.
So, here are 10 things I will miss, and 10 I will now.
Will miss...
1.My friendly neighborhood security guards and their routine "selamat siang"s
2. Beautiful secluded beaches with starfish and crabs
3. The smell of Sate Ayam and Soto
4. My conversation class of all girls that I have been teaching for 8 months.
5. Baking in a rice cooker
6. My silly office girls and their chats
7. Teaching Indonesian children
8. Riding ojeks to work everyday
9. Indonesian pronunciation and slang
10. shopping in markets and bragaining with local sellers
plus so much more
I won't miss...
1. Traffic Jams non-stop
2. overtly corrupt government
3. Rats and mosquitoes
4. HEAT and Downpours
5. Standing out in a crowd
6. slow mall walkers
7. babies on motorbikes without helmets
8. all of the local dishes consisting of livers and skin (EWW)
9. "hello mister" well maybe I will miss this one
10. ordering cheesecake and getting cake with cheese.
I struggled to find things that I wouldn't miss... those things which I will miss could go on forever.
Monday, June 1, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment