Sunday, October 5, 2008

deeper faith and sufferings

This morning I went to an international church here in Karawaci with my roomie, Anne. I usually go to a different church on Saturday nights inside of Jakarta, but since I was coming back from out of town on saturday evening, I couldn't make it to that church service. So, though I'm not particularly fond of this group in KW, I decided its best to go anyway, so I went.

The church is made up of many different ethnicities but the majority of the people are from various countries in Africa. So, this is my first real exposure to African brothers and sisters, and I have noticed a few things. First, when I worship with these sisters and brothers, the spirit always reminds me of how difficult life has been for so many people in Africa, and continues to be in many countries in the continent. So, I am generally thankful that the Lord is faithful to his children through trials and struggles, and I consider if maybe one day I will be included in sufferings also.


Second, I see a different kind of faith. A faith that is exciting and strong, though only shallow in its depth of Biblical understanding. I dont know if this is the best way to state things, but I will try to explain what i mean. I hear powerful prayers that bring me to tears without me even noticing! I mean, I didn't give myself permission to cry; i only noticed that there were suddenly tears going down my cheek. Victory in the Lord is almost commanded and expected, and victories over trials are seen when these people pray. But I see that this is one sided. I've never heard an African brother or sister praise God for his justice, or for his sovereignty in trials. I've never heard them ask for repentance of sin, or as for strength to become more pure.

So, the third thing that I have noticed is that in their hearts there seems to be a compartment just for sins that can pile up, because i guess its not too important to try to get rid of sin if you may die the next day. But there is always a need for faith because everyday in so many places in Africa is a struggle for life. So, while faith and an absolute dedication to Christ to give victories and protect exists, there exists only a partial commitment to Christ because they don't have a desire for holiness or being worthy of the cross (don't miss interpret that statement, please. I mean it in a Pauline kind of way).

Ok, that's that, and its just general observation of what I have seen at the church that I have visited. I am sure its not safe to make that a vast sweeping statement of all of the believers found in Africa, but I can see the dangers of it and the sources, and I understand how it could come about. So, it confuses me because I know that faith without works/sanctification is dead, but I can also see that the faith of these people has brought about many changes and the Lord hears their cries.

so those are just my thoughts and I will post more in a few days because I have some more things on my heart.

Sorry there are no pictures because my computer crashed and all of my files are gone :-(

grace and peace

1 comment:

Stephen and Tara said...

A very interesting post. Thanks for posting your thoughts. I love reading things like this. I think you articulated your thoughts well. These things can be so confusing. Right when you think you have this whole Christian walk thing in a box, God comes and throws something else, another type of believer, another demension of faith, into the mix and perplexes us. It can be humbling too. Being around different "sub cultures" of Christianity the past few years has done the same thing to me. I see how different groups are really strong in some things (much stronger than me) and in other areas that I feel are important they lack completely. But I still see God's grace on them and mercy. (most of them) and how they do love him with as much as they understand how to. It reminds me of the verse "To much whom is given much is expected." I think sometimes those of us who know more are going to be held to a higher standard to the truth we know. But at the same time I know God desires us to pursue truth if we are pursing it to know him more and not just to have head knowledge. But then again Faith, works, prayer, pursing gifts, evangelism, suffering for His name, etc, etc, are all things required of us too. And many brothers and sisters in the world who don't know as much truth are way beyond us in these things. Anyway these are just some random thoughts I had. But I really appreciate your post.